Special Weekend Retreats for Residency Alums | Summer 2020
Saltonstall is excited to invite alums to participate in a unique weekend retreat program, offered for the summer of 2020 only. Please note: you must be an alum of the summer juried residency program to take advantage of this program.
During the week the colony will be buzzing with construction of our new accessible studio and gallery space, but on the weekends the main house will be reserved for special, non-juried, DIY creative retreats.
This self-directed retreat is designed to provide a private space and a quiet environment — free from the distractions of everyday life. We invite alums to come alone, or as part of a mini-reunion with other residency alums. This retreat is perfect for writers, photographers, or visual artists who can work “dry” and who do not need a studio space.
The three suites in the main house will be available for rental on a first-come, first-served basis for weekends only. Guests will be invited to arrive Friday after 4pm, and stay until Monday morning at 9am. Rental fee will include basic groceries and four chef-prepared meals which will be left in the refrigerator for guests to heat and serve at their own convenience.
We require a simple statement-of-purpose – an explanation of why you’d like to use the space and the nature of your work or project. There is no jurying involved. There is no application process.
What We Provide
- sheets, towels, pillows, bedding, toilet paper, dish soap
- full use of the kitchen in the main house (incl. coffee maker, coffee grinder, microwave, gas stove, dishwasher, pots, pans, all dishware, utensils, etc.)
- a private bathroom
- wireless internet access (that everyone shares!)
- a wet darkroom (chemicals and paper are not provided)
- a quiet, private space in which to work
- basic groceries and 4 chef-prepared meals (left in refrigerator for guests to eat at their convenience)
What You Provide
- payment-in-full at the time of booking.
- any specialty food items
- your own transportation, including a car service if you are traveling by bus*
- all supplies, equipment, and material you may need to work
- please respect the retreat-quality of the colony by maintaining a quiet environment at all times
- keep the communal kitchen clean and swept daily
- please strip beds and place linens in pillowcases at the end of your stay
- please leave your pets, children, partners, and spouses at home; each room is single-occupancy only
- do not invite guests to visit you at the colony (no guests are permitted at any time)
The Fine Print
We do not have a cancellation policy. Since we operate on a first-come, first-served basis, your payment secures your apartment. This means that we potentially turn others away for that time period.
If arriving Friday is not possible, you may check-in on Saturday, however the $150/weekend fee still applies. Longer stays are not possible. We need to be strict about the Monday check-out.
We cannot offer partial refunds if you arrive a day late or decide to leave a day early. Additionally, once a reservation has been confirmed, any change to that reservation (i.e. moving to another weekend) will require a nonrefundable $25.00 change fee.
Sound Appealing? Book your weekend below!
The three individual apartments in the main house are available. They are designated as, “Main House Upstairs Writers Suite” (the apartment just off the dining room); “Main House Downstairs Writers Suite” (the downstairs apartment at the foot of the stairs); and “Main House Downstairs Writers Suite East” (the apartment with the built-in darkroom formerly known as the Photo Apartment.)
Feel free to call (607) 539-3146 if you have any questions or if it would be easier to ask about dates over the phone.
Book a reservation
Click the “Book Now!” button to view availability and make a reservation. Please
Note: this system only accepts credit, not debit cards.
2020 Dates For Summer Retreats
WEEKENDS ONLY | MAIN HOUSE ONLY
Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights starting June 5 through September 25, 2020
In order to serve as many alums as possible for this special retreat session, we will limit booking to one weekend stay per person
$150.00 per-person for the weekend
Check-in after 4:00pm Friday, check-out by 9:00am Monday
Single-night stays cannot be accommodated
There will be NO PARKING available by the main house. Guests will need to park by the office and walk their belongings to the house.
As of mid-April, 2020, the studio building will close until the 2021 summer residency season.
Fully carpeted, vaulted ceilings, large bathtub, this apartment is the only living space on the upper floor of the main house and is next to the kitchen and dining room.
Writer's suite located downstairs in the main house. Apartment with private bathroom and ample work space with tables, sofa, and coffee table.
Writing studio and living space that includes a built-in darkroom for b&w photography. A great multipurpose space with ample bulletin boards.