Special Weekend Retreats for Residency Alums | Summer 2020
Saltonstall is excited to invite alums to participate in a unique weekend retreat program, offered for the summer of 2020 only.
During the week the colony will be buzzing with construction of our new accessible addition, but on the weekends the main house will be reserved for special, non-juried, DIY creative retreats.
This self-directed retreat is designed to provide a private space and a quiet environment — free from the distractions of everyday life. We invite alums to come alone, or as part of a mini-reunion with other residency alums. This retreat is perfect for writers, photographers, or visual artists who can work “dry” and who do not need a studio space.
The three suites in the main house will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for weekends only. Guests will be invited to arrive Friday after 4pm, and stay until Monday morning at 9am. Retreats will include basic groceries and four chef-prepared meals which will be left in the refrigerator for you to enjoy at your convenience.
We require a simple statement-of-purpose – an explanation of why you’d like to use the space and the nature of your work or project. There is no jurying involved. There is no application process.
New COVID-19 protocols
While Saltonstall is designed for social distancing, we have created some new kitchen-specific protocols. These will minimize the time you spend in the kitchen and will eliminate any sharing of food or utensils.
These protocols are specified below.
Now free of charge
When we originally developed this one-summer-only program, we priced the three-night weekend at $150 — a price we thought was still affordable while also covering some of our costs.
The world is a very different place now, and we are accutely aware that many of our alums are struggling financially. We are limited in the ways in which we can help, but one of those ways is to offer this program free of charge.
We hope a weekend at Saltonstall can provide a brief respite in whatever way is most important to you in these times.
As of June 4, there are only three open rooms available, two of them in September.
Please email lesley [at] saltonstall.org if you would like to be put on a waitlist. (We’ve already been able to accommodate a few people!) You can specificy a particular weekend, month, or range of dates. Cancellations always happen.
What we provide
- sheets, towels, pillows, bedding, toilet paper, dish soap, hand soap, sanitizing supplies in the kitchen
- a private bathroom
- wireless internet access (that everyone shares!)
- a quiet, private space in which to work
- basic groceries and 4 chef-prepared meals (we will send a detailed list in advance of the groceries we provide and ask about your dietary restrictions if any)
What we ask of you
- strict adherence to all new covid-related protocols (some listed below; a more detailed list will be sent to you)
- that you bring any specialty food items with you and avoid unnecessary trips to the store
- for your safety, we ask that you do not enter any construction area on the property
- that you supply your own material, supplies, etc. that you may need to work
New COVID protocols
- chef Mandy will only be in the kitchen for a few hours on Saturdays (she will be the only staff to enter the house unless there’s an emergency)
- social distancing is required at all times — this is a minimum of 6-ft from any other person
- please sanitize all touched surfaces each time you use the kitchen (supplies provided)
- to keep our staff safe, please bring your personal garbage out to the can on the patio upon check-out
- please strip beds and place linens and towels in pillowcases and bring them to the front door at the end of your stay
- we strongly discourage any unnecessary travel into Ithaca
- if you must go to town or to any public space in the community, you are required to wear a mask
- we have created two mini-kitchenettes in the downstairs apartments complete with stocked mini-fridges, coffee, coffee makers, electric tea kettles, utensils, cloth napkins, mugs, plates, bowls, etc. to help minimize the time you spend in the kitchen upstairs
- each guest will have a designated shelf in the refrigerator upstairs
- prepared foods and groceries will be divided and organized for each guest on each shelf in the fridge and in the mini-fridges downstairs
- the house will be professionally cleaned between weekends
- please respect the retreat-quality of the colony by maintaining a quiet environment at all times
- please leave your pets, children, partners, and spouses at home; each room is single-occupancy only
- do not invite guests to visit you at the colony (no guests are permitted at any time)
The Fine Print
We hope that you will commit to your reservation and give us at least two weeks notice if you are no longer able to come to Saltonstall. Since we operate on a first-come, first-served basis, we potentially turn others away once a weekend is filled with guests, and we won’t likely be able to offer your room to others if you cancel on short notice.
If arriving Friday is not possible, you may check-in on Saturday. (Please let us know this.) Longer stays are not possible. We need to be strict about the Monday check-out.
In order to serve as many alums as possible for this special retreat session, we will limit booking to one weekend stay per person.
Sound Appealing? Book your weekend below!
The three individual apartments in the main house are available. They are designated as, “Main House Upstairs Writers Suite” (the apartment just off the dining room); “Main House Downstairs Writers Suite” (the downstairs apartment at the foot of the stairs); and “Main House Downstairs Writers Suite East” (the apartment with the built-in darkroom formerly known as the Photo Apartment.)
Feel free to call (607) 539-3146 if you have any questions or if it would be easier to ask about dates over the phone.
Book a reservation
Click the “Book Now!” button to view availability and make a reservation. Please
Note: while you must use a credit card to create the reservation, we will not actually be charging the card
2020 Dates For Summer Retreats
WEEKENDS ONLY | MAIN HOUSE ONLY
Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights starting June 12 through September 25, 2020
In order to serve as many alums as possible for this special retreat session, we will limit booking to one weekend stay per person
No charge. (You will still need to enter your card information, but it will not be charged.)
Check-in after 4:00pm Friday, check-out by 9:00am Monday
Single-night stays cannot be accommodated
There will be NO PARKING available by the main house. Guests will need to park by the office and walk their belongings to the house.
As of mid-April, 2020, the studio building will close until the 2021 summer residency season.
Fully carpeted, vaulted ceilings, large bathtub, this apartment is the only living space on the upper floor of the main house and is next to the kitchen and dining room.
Writer's suite located downstairs in the main house. Apartment with private bathroom and ample work space with tables, sofa, and coffee table.
Writing studio and living space that includes a built-in darkroom for b&w photography. A great multipurpose space with ample bulletin boards.