Preparing your application material:
More detailed application instructions specific to each discipline are included within Submittable. However, in all cases, we ask for the following things:
– Basic personal information and a preference regarding residency dates
– A resume (not seen by the jury.) This can be any length and can be named whatever you’d like.
– Contact information for 2 personal references (not seen by the jury.) Please note: we are not asking for letters of reference. Nothing should be mailed or emailed to us. We are simply asking for the contact information for two people who can act as personal references for you.
– An artist’s or writer’s statement (seen by the jury; take care not to identify yourself or include your name in the document or file name.)
For all disciplines, we ask for a short statement about your work, no longer than one page. (For example, something in the 400-word range.) Please keep this brief and specific to the work you are submitting.
PLEASE NOTE: When composing the statement about your work, do not include information such as your name or your age. Do not “credential” yourself by including information that would normally be seen on a resume. Your statement should not mention where you went to school or where you’ve been published, exhibited, etc. Simply talk about the work that the jury is reviewing.
– Work samples for everyone and a file list for visual artists (seen by the jury; please do not include your name anywhere or use your name to name your files.)
This is the most important part of your application. Poets, we ask for 15 pages of work; fiction and nonfiction writers, we ask for 20 pages of work, double-spaced. Visual artists and photographers are asked to submit 10 images, and filmmakers are asked to submit 1-2 samples of their work, up to 5 min. in length. (More detailed information is contained within Submittable.)
– We can’t stress this enough:
Please take special care regarding identifying and “credentialing” yourself in your statements and especially how you name your work sample files. If there are errors, your application will be disqualified, and we don’t want that to happen!
– $0 application fee! We eliminated our application fee two years ago in an effort to make a Saltonstall residency accessible to as many people as possible.
We convene a different jury for each discipline, and they change each year. Jurors serve anonymously. Saltonstall’s board members and staff do NOT serve on any juries. Your application is considered solely on the merit of your work sample and your artist’s and writer’s statement,