As of July 31, 2020 we’re working to make Saltonstall available for personal retreats starting in early October. Please stay tuned.
Saltonstall Arts Colony — Retreat Space for New York State Artists & Writers
Saltonstall’s five private apartments (two of which include studio space for visual artists) are available to Saltonstall alumni and to New York State-based artists and writers on a first-come, first-served basis for personal retreats. You must be a resident of New York State to stay at Saltonstall.
These retreats are designed to provide you with a private space and a quiet environment — free from the distractions of everyday life — for you to engage in your visual art or writing practice. Our facilities are designed for single-occupancy. We cannot accommodate couples or families.
We require a simple statement-of-purpose – an explanation of why you’d like to use the space and the nature of your work or project. There is no jurying involved. There is no application process.
Please note the following small changes we’ve recently instituted
- Payment-in-full is required when making a reservation.
- We are no longer able to accommodate 1-day retreats on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays.
- Once a reservation has been confirmed, any change to that reservation will require a nonrefundable $25.00 change fee.
- We are not able to offer refunds if you cancel your retreat, and un-refunded payments cannot be applied to future stays.
What We Provide
- sheets, towels, pillows, bedding, toilet paper, laundry soap, dish soap
- full use of the kitchen in the main house (incl. coffee maker, coffee grinder, microwave, gas stove, dishwasher, pots, pans, all dishware, utensils, etc.)
- a private bathroom
- wireless internet access (that everyone shares!)
- tables, and easel, and a utility sink in the visual arts studios
- a wet darkroom (chemicals and paper are not provided)
- a quiet, private space in which to work
What You Provide
- payment-in-full at the time of booking. (For longer stays of 10 nights or more, we ask for a nonrefundable 50% deposit.)
- all groceries
- your own transportation, including a car service if you are traveling by bus*
- all supplies, equipment, and material you may need to work
- please respect the retreat-quality of the colony by maintaining a quiet environment at all times
- wash (and dry!) your sheets and towels before you check out (there is a washer/dryer just off the kitchen in the main house)
- keep the communal kitchen clean and swept daily
- take out the recycling and the garbage at the end of your stay
- clean your bathroom before you leave (cleaning supplies provided)
- please leave your pets, children, partners, and spouses at home
- do not invite guests to visit you at the colony (no guests are permitted at any time)
The Fine Print
We do not have a cancellation policy. We operate on a first-come, first-served basis. Your payment secures your apartment or studio and is non-refundable since we likely turn others away during that time period. Deposits for longer stays are not refundable, even if you cancel your retreat. Deposits cannot be applied to future retreat reservations.
If you arrive a day late or decide to leave a day early, payment for the full retreat period is still required. Additionally, we understand that you may need to slightly alter the dates of your retreat after the initial reservation is made. (i.e. arriving a day earlier, staying a day later, etc.) However, we’re not able to offer a refund if the dates change results in a shorter stay. Additionally, once a reservation has been confirmed, any change to that reservation will require a nonrefundable $25.00 change fee.
The Saltonstall Arts Colony can accommodate up to five individuals at any given time. It is comprised of two contemporary residential buildings, located about 100 feet apart:
- The main house – includes three separate private one-bedroom suites (most appropriate for writers), a communal kitchen, dining and living room.
- The studio building – includes two visual arts studios with adjoining private one-bedroom suites. Each guest occupies an entire floor, either upstairs or downstairs, and uses the kitchen in the main house.
More specific information describing each of our five spaces can be found below by clicking on the photos or name of the room.
If you’re interested in scheduling a retreat for yourself, please make a booking below. We will confirm your stay (or reach out with any additional questions) within a day or two. If you make a request over the weekend or during holidays, you can expect to hear back from us when we’re next in the office.
Feel free to call (607) 539-3146 or email email@example.com at any time if you have questions or if it would be easier to discuss the details of your retreat request over phone or email.
Book a reservation
Click the “Book Now!” button to view availability and make a reservation.
Please note: this system only accepts credit, not debit cards.
2020 – 2021 Dates
We anticipate re-opening the Main House for DIY retreats in mid-October. Please stay tuned. (NOTE: the studio building will not be available.)
$25/night with a two-night minimum stay (check-in after 2:00 pm, check-out by 12:00 pm) Credit cards are the only accepted form of payment.
$20/day (Monday – Thursday only, this rate covers a 9:00 am – 5:00 pm time period)
Visual art studio and separate apartment, second floor. Apartment with private bathroom and living space. Studio has tables, easels, chairs and a utility sink.
Visual art studio and separate apartment, ground floor. Apartment with private bathroom and living space. Studio has tables, easels, chairs and a utility sink.
Fully carpeted, vaulted ceilings, large bathtub, this apartment is the only living space on the upper floor of the main house and is next to the kitchen and dining room.
Writer's suite located downstairs in the main house. Apartment with private bathroom and ample work space with tables, sofa, and coffee table.
Writing studio and living space that includes a built-in darkroom for b&w photography. A great multipurpose space with ample bulletin boards.