A quiet studio. A beautiful setting. Time for inspiration
Please note: while the residency program takes a sabbatical in 2020, the information about this signature program will likely remain exactly the same. We appreciate your understanding as we work to become accessible to all artists and writers, and we look forward to welcoming you to the new-and-improved Saltonstall in 2021!
The Saltonstall Arts Colony in Ithaca, NY offers free four-week residencies between May and August and two-week residencies in September to New York State artists and writers looking for a quiet, supportive environment in which to focus on their craft.
In 2019, we piloting a new program: a free 6-night residency specifically for artist/writer parents with at least one dependent child under the age of 18 at home. This new residency was a huge success, and we have every intention of continuing it in 2021. We are not able to accommodate children, spouses, partners, or collaborators. This residency is designed for the artist/writer parent alone!
Our categories include:
- Fiction & Creative Nonfiction
- Photography (film or digital) & Filmmaking
- Painting | Sculpture | Visual Arts
Each residency session includes the same combination of five artists and writers: one poet, one fiction or creative nonfiction writer, one photographer or filmmaker, and two visual artists. These residencies are designed for individual artists and writers; we cannot accommodate collaborations or partners working together.
All residencies (incl. the new 6-night residency for artist/writer parents, the 2-week, and 4-week) function exactly the same way. Each group of five arrives and leaves together, and the application process for all residencies is also exactly the same.
2021 Residency Dates
Our second annual 6-night residency for parents:
Our 4-week residencies:
Our 2-week residencies:
There is no cost associated with the residency. Additionally, we have eliminated our application fee. Artists and writers who are awarded a residency are provided the following:
- a $200 stipend for artists/writers awarded our new 6-night residency for parents
- a $375 or $750 stipend (based on a 2- or 4-week session)
- writers: a spacious private apartment with ample desk space
- visual artists: a private apartment with adjoining studio space on the same level
- photographers or filmmakers: a private apartment with ample desk space and a fully functional wet darkroom
- all apartments have private baths and a patio or balcony
- hearty chef-prepared vegetarian dinners
- all groceries and a 24-hour accessible kitchen
- washer and dryer
- weekly cleaning service
The 200-acre Saltonstall Arts Colony is located 7 miles outside Ithaca, NY in the heart of the beautiful Finger Lakes region. The residency competition is statewide and is open to all New York State residents (including New York City.) Residency alumni are now eligible to re-apply every other year! (If you were a resident here in 2018 or earlier, you are eligible to re-apply.)