Harry Leigh (b. 1931) graduated from Albright Art School and SUNY College at Buffalo, where he received his Bachelor’s degree in 1953. Drafted into the United States Army that same year, he trained as a radio operator and was stationed in West Germany. While serving in Europe, he traveled extensively, visiting museums and architectural sites. Upon return, Leigh took advantage of the GI Bill to study under Peter Voulkos and received a Masters degree in 1959 from Teacher’s College, Columbia University. He studied painting privately with Richard Pousette-Dart from 1956-1960. It was during this period he began experimenting with large constructed works using cardboard, plaster, and plywood; by 1965, sculpture became his principal medium.
In his first solo exhibition at the Brata Gallery in New York City in 1967, Leigh realized for the first time the integration of his work, travel and educational experiences. In 1974 and 1978, solo exhibitions of his work were mounted at OK Harris Gallery. He has been awarded residencies at Yaddo, The MacDowell Colony, and the Marie Walsh Sharpe Foundation Studio Program. He resides in Suffern, NY and is represented by Jordana Zeldin.