The application portal is now closed.
Thank you to all who applied for the summer 2017 residency. Please check back in early fall for the 2018 application.
A quiet studio. A beautiful setting. Time for inspiration
The Saltonstall Arts Colony in Ithaca, NY offers two-week and four-week residencies between May and September to New York State artists and writers looking for a quiet, supportive environment in which to focus on their craft.
The categories for 2017 include:
- Fiction & Creative Nonfiction
- Photography (film or digital) & Filmmaking
- PSVA: Painting | Sculpture | Visual Arts
Each residency session includes the same combination of five artists and writers: 1 poet, 1 fiction or creative nonfiction writer, 1 photographer or filmmaker, and 2 visual artists. Each group of five arrives and leaves together. These residencies are designed for individual artists and writers; we cannot accommodate collaborations or partners working together.
In an effort to include and serve artists and writers who cannot participate in a month-long residency, we will continue to offer two-week sessions in addition to three (3) month-long sessions, as we have since 2014.
The two-week residencies function exactly as our popular longer sessions do, with each group of five arriving and departing together at the same time. The application process for the two-week residencies is the same as the process for the month-long residencies.
Dates for 4-week residencies in 2017:
- Monday, May 15 – Thursday, June 15
- Monday, June 19 – Thursday, July 20
- Monday, July 24 – Thursday, August 24
Dates for 2-week residencies in 2017:
- Monday, August 28 – Monday, September 11
- Wednesday, September 13 – Wednesday, September 27
There is no cost associated with the residency. Additionally, we have eliminated our application fee. Artists and writers who are awarded a residency are provided the following:
- a $250 or $500 stipend to help off-set expenses (based on a 2- or 4-week session)
- writers: a spacious private apartment with ample desk space
- visual artists: a private apartment with adjoining studio space on the same level
- photographers or filmmakers: a private apartment with ample desk space and a fully functional wet darkroom
- all apartments have private baths and a patio or balcony
- five hearty vegetarian dinners cooked Monday – Friday by the colony chef
- all groceries and a 24-hour accessible kitchen
- washer and dryer
- weekly cleaning service
The 200-acre Saltonstall Arts Colony is located 7 miles outside Ithaca, NY in the heart of the beautiful Finger Lakes region. The residency competition is statewide and is open to all New York State residents (including New York City.) Residency alumni are now eligible to re-apply every other year! (If you were a resident here in 2015 or earlier, you are eligible to re-apply.)
Please be sure to read the application instructions.
You can move directly to our Submittable application page here. We look forward to receiving your application!